What Heritage do you pass on?

As we live on this earth, we recognize that we all tend to inherit some or many traits from our parents - some good and some bad. I know I passed on my “sweet tooth,” to my boys, since we all enjoy a warm blueberry crumb pie with ice cream. I am not sure if that is a good or bad heritage that I pass on? 

However, as I look back to when I was growing up in New Delhi in India, I have one picture of my dad, which is engraved in my mind for the past 50+ years. This was the picture of my dad every day in the evening, kneeling down on our rugged old multi-colored carpet with a reddish tinge, for the family Prayer. He would open his worship songbook and sing a song with my mom. Then he would read the Bible and close in prayer, as my brother and I tried to listen to it half-asleep. I do not remember what he read or sang or prayed, but his posture to pray to Jesus every day is still embedded in my mind. 

I am convinced that the embedded image of my dad kneeling and praying to the divine Creator of this world, had germinated a passion in me. The practical reflection of my dad’s faith in Jesus, triggered a desire to become a Bible teacher and a Biblical blogger. I went on to get a master’s degree in Biblical Discipleship from Moody Theological Seminary, and then become a licensed Pastor. My dad was a faithful Christian even though he was not perfect. He was not a priest nor a pastor. But today, as I read these three verses, it reminds me of my dad, as to how he made these verses real to me:

  1. Psalm 95:6 (NIV) “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;”
  2. Joshua 1:8 (NIV) “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it…” 
  3. Deuteronomy 6:6-8 (ESV) 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.

I am so glad that my father reflected God’s Word to me at a young age, which prevented me from going astray. This is the most precious heritage that any father can leave for his children, that is, kneeling in humility and staying in God’s Word day and night. This heritage is more precious than leaving behind gold, silver, dollars or any property, since this is eternal in nature! 

I hope, we too can mimic the same heritage for our children.

Thank you, Dad!! 

Happy Father’s Day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Jesus Christ the real Prajapati mentioned in Hindu Vedas?

Social Media and God - The Common Factor

Biblical Fasting